HBS New Energies constructed 500 kWp of ground mount solar PV at Anglian Water’s Rayleigh and Witham Water Recycling Centres. By boosting on-site generation from solar panels, Anglian Water have been able to reduce their energy costs and CO2 footprint.
Following the PV installation completed at Anglian Water’s Hall Water Treatment Works their energy project team identified the Water Recycling Centres at Rayleigh and Witham as two energy-intensive sites that would be suitable for ground mount solar panel installations.
By utilising unused land adjacent to the facilities, HBS were able to deliver a tailored ground mount PV solution to help Anglian Water generate clean electricity from solar power, reducing their energy costs by nearly 50% whilst reducing their impact on the environment.
- HBS New Energies managed all stages of this multi-site project, from funding, design and supply, right through to construction, commissioning and O&M. Contracted works included all DNO approval and assistance with the ROO-FIT applications.
- We first carried out groundwork surveys to identify toxicology, ecology and ground condition of the proposed land. From there, we assessed the sites and designed bespoke systems that would be suitable for the current environment at both facilities. The groundworks included removal of concrete boulders and rubble, trenching and piling.
- HBS’s dedicated project teams completed the installation of the 2 x ground mount 250 kWp solar PV systems, adhering to Anglian’s strict health and safety standards at all times. We secured both sites by erecting security fencing with adequate ground clearance for identified wildlife runs to remain in place.
- The Witham site is now producing nearly 1/4 million kWh of clean energy – which equates around 20% of the electricity used by the site to recycle used water. The Rayleigh site is producing more than 1/4 million kWh of clean energy – which equates to around 25% of the electricity used by the site to recycle used water.
- The construction of ground mount solar PV at two of their energy-intensive Water Recycling Centres has helped Anglian Water boost on-site renewable generation. As a result, the energy efficiency at both facilities has significantly improved, with a saving of nearly 50% on their daytime energy unit cost.
| Locations ||Rayleigh & Witham WRC |
| Annual output || 568,331 kWh |
| Annual CO2 savings || 340,158 kg |