HBS New Energies have successfully completed the design and installation of a 75.92 kWp solar PV system at No.2 Forbury Place in Reading’s newest urban business district. The integration of solar panels has helped the construction project achieve a BREEAM Excellent rating.
Leading independent engineering, IT and facilities services business NG Bailey appointed HBS New Energies to complete the design and installation of a solar PV system for the roof and the south, east and west façades of No2. Forbury Place in Reading. The new £40 million office building project being led by Main contractor Galliford Try, has been designed and constructed with sustainability and as a key focus.
HBS New Energies proposed a cost effective solution that met a combination of performance, visual and design aesthetics. We secured the contract on the basis of competitive pricing and the high level of engineering expertise demonstrated when providing consultancy and detailed designs at the tender stage. This is one of many prestigious projects HBS have completed working with client NG Bailey.
- HBS New Energies supplied a full turnkey service managing all aspects of design, supply and installation. The contracted works included all DNO approval, testing and commissioning.
- A key challenge was to engineer a safe and effective solution for a 3 type solar PV system that included the mounting of modules on a trapezoidal flat roof and vertically as a façade, whilst meeting suitable ballast and performance requirements and visual aesthetics.
- Working in consultation with a structural engineer, our technical team designed a bespoke façade mounting system to incorporate steel box pillars situated behind the façade. We drilled these steel box pillars with a combination of m12 and m16 bits and threaded rods for mounting the heavy duty rail, cable trays and the high performance modules.
- For the buildings flat roof we installed 47 PV modules using a ballasted mounting system. For the trapezoidal roofs of the switch room and stair core we installed two roof mounting systems, one housing 20 and other 16 modules. A further 206 modules have been vertically mounted on the West, East and South façades of the building to screen the rooftops plant.
- The project team made up of a project manager, PV installers, electricians and roofers worked flexibly to facilitate the other trades progress. HBS completed the installation to the client’s specification, finishing all works to an exemplary standard, in a safe and controlled manner over a period of several weeks. Our in-house health & safety officer provided a full H&S RAMS.
- To ensure the installation met the performance and technical requirements and budget factors, we specified Hisunage 260Wp modules together with five Solis inverters. The PV system comprises of 292 modules, giving a total annual output of 56,622 kWh with a projected annual carbon saving of 31,560kg.
- Alongside the energy efficiency measures included, integrating solar PV into the construction of the 190,000 sq. ft. office building played a key role in ensuring the project achieved its targeted BREEAM Excellent rating and an EPC rating of B. The PV system now forms an integral part of No2. Forbury Place.
| Location ||No.2 Forbury Place, Reading |
| Annual CO2 savings || 31,560 kg |